»

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Bad Parenting & Poor Judgment

SOLON TOWNSHIP, Mich. — A toilet paper prank has led to the shooting of a 14-year-old by a southwestern Michigan man who believed strangers were trying to break into his home.

The Grand Rapids Press and WZZM-TV report the victim and four other teens were pulling the prank about 1 a.m. Sunday at a home in Solon Township, about 20 miles northeast of Grand Rapids.

Kent County sheriff's Lt. Jerry Miedema said the teens were intent on draping the house in toilet paper, while the homeowner's "intent was to come out shooting."

Police say three shots were fired from a 12-gauge shotgun, striking the 14-year-old in the chest, stomach and leg. He is recovering at a local hospital.

The homeowner was not arrested, but a prosecutor is looking into possible charges.


I really don't think charges are in order. The youth used poor judgment in TP-ing a house. The man used poor judgment in shooting first and asking question later. Where are these kids parents? My kids would never have done this.
  1. We have taught them to make better choices than this.
  2. They have too much of the fear of God and even more of the fear of Dad (or Mom) for that matter. Sorry, Dear.
  3. What was a 14 year old doing out of their bed at 1 am? Nothing good happens at 1 am unless you are at a church all night youth event!

Yep, there's one for this too.

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

Proverbs 22:6


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You would never catch me TP-ing a house. I feel bad for the kids but then again I don't because they shouldn't have been doing this in the first place. The homeowner should have shown more restraint.

Kate said...

Well, I gotta be honest. My parents instilled good values in me while I was growing up, BUT.... I did some REALLY stupid things as a teenager. I hope I've regained those values. I was lucky....I survived my own stupidity.

Yeah, sometimes the parents should take the blame, but....sometimes, kids are just plain stupid. :/