»

Monday, January 26, 2009

Embracing What is Right

First, let me say that this is not a political entry. This is a personal entry. I try very hard to steer away from the political realm, as difficult as that sometimes is. Also, I am not claiming anyone to be guilty by association, so don't even read into that here.

As I watched history unfold during the inauguration of the 44th President of the United States, I was unimpressed. There wa no 'wow' moment for me. From Rick Warren's 'prayer' until the end of Joseph Lowery's 'bendiction' - nothing.

I wasn't surprised by the crowds. I expected them.

The music left no lasting impression except for the fact that they could keep stringed instruments in such great tune at such low temperatures. I hear that maybe it was pre-recorded; a Yo-Yo version of lip-synching? Yo-Yo Manilli. I couldn't resist.


There was no historic 'quote' from th ePresident's speech that we will ever see etched in marble or written in history books. For such a charismatic and eloquent man, and after all of the campaign speeches, it was almost anti-climactic. We appear to be stuck with "Yes, we can."

The poem was, well, odd.

And then Rev. Lowery takes to the microphone to pronounce the benediction. Still not impressed, but it definitely sticks with me.

BENEDICTION - A benediction (Latin: bene, well + dicere, to speak) is a short invocation for divine help, blessing and guidance, usually at the end of worship service.

According to wikipedia, Dr Lowery has been in ministry since at least 1952. He should certainly know the purpose of a benediction. He got most of it right. He prayed for protection over the President and his family. He prayed for an end to war in this world. He prayed for the unity of the millions in attendance. Then he tried to add the rhyming and humor to his 'prayer'.

Here is the closing text of this benediction:

"Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back, when brown can stick around ... when yellow will be mellow ... when the red man can get ahead, man; and when white will embrace what is right. That all those who do justice and love mercy say Amen."

That is NOT a blessing! It is NOT, as the latin states, speaking well of anyone.

This is not an attack on the man of God. He has very many accomplishments, has served God many years and I would never discount any of that. But, I would think that after all of the trouble our new President has had in the past with preachers, he would make some safer choices.

In the following video, you can even see his regret in his face...watch closely...



There are some other things that I can say here regarding the struggle against racism in the United States, but they may start a riot in front of my home. Now, while SOME of my readers may want me to do that, I am not going to. There are many of my African American blogging friends who say it very well.

Suffice it to say, that the three main challenges facing us with regard to racism are these:

1. Old thoughts are still in play. That is to say that people of the older generation and even some out-of-touch, uneducated people of my own generation, have a certain mind-set regarding other races. they do not see anything wrong with their viewpoint, and feel free to speak their mind on the issue.

2. We still call racism a 'problem'. The more you call something a problem, the more of a problem it becomes. The Bible says that:

Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.
Proverbs 18:21

3. The victim mentality. A young man that I have really grown to admire says it best in the following video. And since he's black, he is allowed to say it. Whatever! This was posted pre-election. While I agreed with his views in the rest of the video at that time, some of it now falls out of line with our support of our current President. I know you're going to watch it all.
This video was in response to someone else's blog entry, but watch around :54 through 1:34. A tip of the hat to an Ol' Broad for this video.



Finally, let me say this: When we start viewing ourselves as we are; a great, blessed, powerful country, we will be able to re-take our rightful place in this world as a leader. As long as we view ourselves as struggling within, we will always be a struggling nation. It is time for us, as a nation to renew our mind. The current President is in office because the left succeeded at getting some on the right to renew their minds about certain things. Unfortunately, the church is responsible for putting an ungodly man in office and America as a nation will pay the price.

Yes, it is time for white and every other color to embrace what is right.

God is right.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't even bring myself to watch the fawning media present this love-fest. He's just a man, ya know. And I wish him well--but the hero-worship is just over the top. And I'm sure in this economy, all the money spent could have been put to better use.

Kate said...

Wow. You outdid yourself!