»

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Jamaica 2008 - Part One - $15.00, for what?!

We flew from Philadelphia through Montego Bay, (where USAir lost my ONLY bag I checked; yeah the one they charged me 15.00 to check), then on to Kingston.

So, this bag you see, was our only checked baggage. We had our full alotment of carry-ons. We could carry on everything we needed. I just didn't want to go through the whole little-plastic-bottle-for-everything-your-body-needs-in-a-ziploc-bag-please ordeal. So we shoved all those liquids, etc. into one bag and checked it.

The USAir lady said it was going through to Kingston. Since, I have traveled multiple times internationally, I knew better. So, I asked her to clarify it. She assured me that it would go through to Kingston. I asked her again if I needed to pick it up in Montego Bay to clear through customs and recheck it. She said once again that the bag would be in Kingston when I got there and showed me the tag on the bag to prove it.

Our flight into Montego Bay was delayed almost an hour. As we ran through the airport to make our connection, we passed the baggage claim. I actually thought of stopping to check if my bag was there, but we had NO TIME. As we ran past, I glanced over. I didn't see any small black bag with a blue ribbon tied to it on the carousel. Ok, I thought, maybe this was what I was now paying $15.00 for anyway. They'll put it through inspection and it will come out on the other end.

Off to immigration and customs.

I am a big man. If I have to run through the airport, I sweat. The whole security thing, taking off my shoes, my belt, watch, check your pockets, and don't lose your passport and boarding pass in the process! Some airports they want your passport through the x-ray, in others keep it with you.

Anyway, security and immigration officials are told to always be suspicious of anyone sweating profusely. HA! I almost always get pulled aside at security and I almost always get the extra questions at immigration. But this time I had my blood pressure under control. No sweating this trip.

We went through immigration and customs, barely made it to our plane. They actually were calling our names on the speaker to get to the gate.

Off to Kingston!

We arrived in 25 minutes, on time. We went to the baggage claim and found no bag. I knew at that moment what had happened. I went to the 'lost baggage' counter. I was so happy to be at my destination. Jamaica is so friendly. They quickly determined that my bag was in Montego Bay and they would have it delivered to me at our hotel, and charge US Air.

I should have it by morning; but this is Jamaica, where the ruling mentality still stands, "soon come".

We got our bag LATE the next night. We had already bought everything we needed. But it was good to have the bag.

Not that I am implying that I was in any personal want, for I have learned how to be content (satisfied to the point where I am not disturbed or disquieted) in whatever state I am.


Philippians 4:11







1 comments:

Kate said...

Don't ya love the Jamaican attitude? Noooooo problem mon! :)

I can't believe they are still charging for bags when the price of oil is so low. What a rip off!