»

Friday, October 17, 2008

Too Little, Too Late

Nigerian father takes son to court for idleness

LAGOS (Reuters) – A father took his 20-year old son to an Islamic court in northern Nigeria for idleness, asking that he be sent to prison for refusing to engage in productive activities, state news agency NAN said on Friday.

"He is not listening to words and he is bringing shame to my family. I am tired of his nefarious deeds. Please put this boy in prison so that I can be free," Sama'ila Tahir, a market trader in the northeastern town of Bauchi, was quoted as saying.

Tahir told the court that his son had refused to go to school and accused him of belonging to a criminal gang.

The court sentenced the son to six months in prison and 30 strokes of the cane -- which were immediately administered on the premises -- for being disobedient to his parents, NAN said.

I started to blog about this and then realized that I would really need to write a book in order to get to the fullest truth of the matter. Even then, I am not so sure that I would not get some of you up in arms over the whole matter.

So, I've posted the story. Please comment on it.

No, I'm not even posting a scripture here, because some people couldn't take that either.

5 comments:

Kate said...

Welp, seems to me he should have used that cane a LONG time ago. Spare the rod, spoil the child? :)

Now, I don't much subscribe to beating the snot out of kids, but I have NO problem with a good old fashioned, over the knee spanking.

Anonymous said...

Age 20 is kind of late to be trying to "mold" a youngster. Something must have been amiss long before. Either way, I can't relate to this culture just as they couldn't relate to ours. I'd just kick the bum out of my house; we don't do the family shame thing in our country. And no court would get involved over a father's shame.

Anonymous said...

I am constantly amazed at parents' remedies and excuses for their wayward offspring. One answer lies in addressing budding problems in two-year-olds, rather than in trying to correct ingrained behavior in young adults.
Unpopular as it is, I adhere to the Scriptural practice of spanking clothed in love. Proper spanking is not "beating," "hitting," or "violence," as some claim. Properly administered, spanking produces godly sorrow and repentance, incentive to modify one's behavior, and humility.
Sadly, few adults are products of properly administered discipline. When I hear people criticize spanking and Biblical discipline, I see that their parents did not know how to administer it. I found Frank and Ida Mae Hammond's book Kingdom Living for the Family a valuable tool. I am thankful that I discovered their clear instructions on the process of child discipline. I learned while my daughter was young what I was doing wrong and needed to repent of / correct to be effective. I also learned what I needed to start doing to increase positive effects.
My results speak for themselves, and my child's disciplined strong will gives her tenacity to stand for her convictions and endurance to complete an assignment.
Scriptural discipline of children assists in developing the fruit of the Spirit / character when administered by a parent who is honestly and consistently intent upon developing such fruit in his / her own life.
Incorrectly administered or absent discipline produces sour, bitter, self-absorbed, and rebellious dispositions; idleness; and faithless and unfaithful adults.
Choose the path that produces good results!

John J Sweeney said...

I have seen children that were raised without what is called 'corporal' punishment that actually turned out well. That is not the norm though and I believe it was only by the Grace of God that they made it to adulthood and become a contributing, responsible, civil member of society.

@ Kate

No, no snot necessary.

@ reap

Welcome to the blog! It's so good to see you hear. I have had the privilege of knowing your daughter and serving with her in missions and ministry here in the States. You did very well by her.

Kate said...

Pfft. I've got a granddaughter that, looking back, some snot beating might have been in order. sigh....