»

Thursday, September 18, 2008

"No pockets, No store!"

I went to the grocery store the other day. I only needed to pick up a couple things, so I knew I wouldn't be long. I had on some basketball shorts - no I don't play basketball - but they are comfortable and I usually only wear them around the house or gardening. So, since I knew I would only take a couple minutes, I decided not to change. These shorts have no pockets, I could just carry my wallet, phone and keys. I've done it before.

I am sure you think you can see it coming.

I got a cart going in, for two reasons; I needed to get spring water. We only use spring water for drinking and cooking. Our city's water tastes like potting soil. I like gardening, but not enough to drink it. The second reason was that I knew I could keep my wallet, keys and phone in the top section. I usually only use the top section because I do not like impaling myself on the handlebar at the register trying to get everything out of the main section. And from the end of the cart, you can't reach the top section. They make these things just too big. I like those mini ones they have now, but again the spring water... So, once I put a few things in the top, my valuables would be covered and secure, right?

I grabbed the first few items; bread, milk, eggs. Now my wallet, phone and keys are covered up. I keep shopping, stepping away from the cart only a couple times to grab some stuff off the shelves or whatever. I check on my personal hidden items periodically.

Now, for those of you who think you know where this is going, you are wrong.

I get to the register, unload my stuff and see that my wallet, keys and phone are all secure in the top basket. I pay for my stuff and put my bags on top of them once again and proceed to the car. I had left the car unlocked. I do this on hot days; windows open and all. There is nothing in the car worth taking and neither is the car itself. As I am putting my stuff in the car, I note that my wallet, keys and phone are all in the top basket - they made it! - Not that I had any doubts.

I get in the car and drive off.

Hmmm.

I get about 1/4 mile from the store and look at the seat beside me. Did I put my wallet and phone under the bags?

They're not there. I am still driving. Maybe I put them on the floor with the spring water. Maybe I put them in the little pocket in the dashboard. Nope, not there. But there in the little pocket is my wife's phone! She apparently left it in the car when she got home from work, just before I darted out to the store. Oh no! My phone AND my wallet are in the cart!

I am one of those people who do not put the cart away. Sue me! I have a 6 year-old and when he was younger I got into that habit. He was just too valuable to have taken out of his car seat while I was doing something they pay people to do. I had heard of it happening and I was wise. Hee-hee. So the cart I had, is sitting alongside an empty parking space just waiting for the next shopper.

My quick prayer went something like this:

"Father, I'm sorry I was so dumb. Please let my stuff still be there when I get back."

I decided, as I was turning around, to use my wife's cell phone to call my phone, in case it was in the car somewhere. It rang, I could not hear it ringing in the car. Someone answers. OK, at this point I am trusting in the mercy of God to let this be one of the many honest people in the world.

"Perla?!", she says, seeing my wife's name pop up. "Do you know whose phone this is?!"

"Yes, it's mine." I replied, embarrassed.

"I am in the parking lot and I have your phone AND your wallet in a cart here!"

Thank you for pointing out my MULTIPLE losses, as if leaving one thing was not mortifying enough.

"I'll be right there."

I drive in and see these two ladies, looking around, standing by my cart - OK, their cart.

I stop the car and get out. I thank them. They point out how it was good that someone like them found it. We didn't know whether to take it inside or not, etc, etc. I show them my license to prove it's me. I thank them again. I point out that this is the last time I go shopping without pockets. I start walking back to my car.

One of them shouts out, "No pockets, no store!"

Good motto.

The next day, I spoke to a woman who was a prospective client for our cleaning business.

"Did you get your phone back?" she asks.

"Uh, yeah," I said, revisiting my mortification of the previous day.

"Yeah, some lady called me yesterday. I guess I was the last call you made before you went to the grocery store. She asked me if I knew whose phone it was. I said yes, but that the only other way I knew of to contact you was by email. As we were talking, she said, 'Someone named Perla is calling the phone'. Oh! that's his wife! Answer it! Answer it!"

That was me calling from my wife's phone.

We had a good laugh. I expressed my hope that this was not going to cast a shadow on us and our first impression.

Well, she is now a customer.
I have my phone and my wallet back.
All turned out well.
Trust in God in every thing.
And if any of you can learn from my mistakes, feel free - No pockets, no store!

And here's a scripture for you:

Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.

Proverbs 30:5

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so nice to find honest people in this world.

Kate said...

Agreed! Honest folks seem to be everywhere, but ya never hear about them. grrrr....

Psst! Wal Mart has basketball type shorts WITH pockets. :)