»

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Children Part Two

OK. I knew that that one bible verse was gonna get to somebody. I never imagined so many. It's the truth of the Word of God. But just to help you out, here's some clarification.

This is the verse I quoted:

Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die. Proverbs 23:13

This is the verse that follows it:

Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell. Proverbs 23:14

Keeping my child from hell (if God put it that way, so can I) sounds important enough for me. Some don't use the word beat, they call it a whoopin', or a spanking. It's all the same truth of scripture. The word 'beat' has been, well, beaten. Here is the truth of the matter.

What we refer to is this meaning from Webster's:

1. To strike repeatedly; to lay on repeated blows, with a stick, with the hand or fist, or with any instrument, and for any cause, just or unjust, or for punishment. (emphasis mine)

We are NOT referring to this Webster's definition:

3. To break, bruise, comminute, or pulverize by beating or pounding, as pepper or spices.

Obviously, there is quite a difference.

In the original Hebrew text, its literal meaning is as follows:

נכה
nâkâh
naw-kaw'
A primitive root; to strike (lightly or severely, literally or figuratively): - beat

The Hebrew definitions go further, but as I should have mentioned in the previous post; I don't think everyone can handle them. I was actually reluctant to post the one scripture, but in the interest of the Truth of the Word of God, I did anyway. I am posting this follow-up to clarify the original. I won't do this all the time. I know this can be a sensitive subject, so I chose to address it in case there were others who were confused.


0 comments: