»

Thursday, August 14, 2008

"Husbands, Love Your Wives" = Give up Your Life for Them

This post is a response to this post.

Unfortunately, most men who boast the husband/submissive wife model are not worthy of being followed anyway.

First, this is a model for believing married couples, not the loser type that Mama referred to in her article. Second, it is a model of marriage that simply puts order into place. Third, while it is certainly no easy task to follow your husband 'no-matter-what', it is likewise not easy for him to be so in touch with Almighty God as to be completely certain that you and your family are following His will for your life.

Usually, however it is only the 'submissive wife' part that gets argued. The other part of that scripture states:

Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
Ephesians 5:25

Oh my! The husband is to love his wife so much that it is like giving up his life for her? I know I have done things for my marriage that seemed as though I was giving up a part of myself. Don't we all? We should. I would do it all over again.

And what about the third part of these admonitions? Should we rebuke this too?

Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord.
Colossians 3:20

My wife is submitted to my authority in Christ. She is not oppressed, suppressed, silenced, enslaved or in any way demeaned because of it. She is a free woman because of our godly marriage. But there is order in our marriage.

I know when it comes down to it, our original poster, Mama, would follow Big Daddy's decisions even if sometimes she thought he was wrong because she trusts him and knows that he loves and wants only the best for her. Maybe she is one of those submitted women after all. :-O

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Pastor John,
The way we make our decisions is through compromise and discourse. I have gone along with some of Big Daddy's decisions that were not necessarily my first choices; however, he has often done the same for me. It helps both of us to grow, and learn to compromise, and respect and benefit from the expertise that EACH of us has to offer. And he's darn glad he went my way in many of the decisions!

John J Sweeney said...

I agree. You are a good helpmate for him. There could be no other. Spouses are in fact incomplete without each other.